Friday, June 12, 2009

Obamarama eh?

He’s everywhere. He’s on magazine covers, posters, T.V. ads and he’s even got a special hair cut. Of course, because he’s the president of the United States! So, if he’s the president of the US, why is he also everywhere in Canada? Obama-mania seems to have North America hard. I get it’s a big step having the first black president, and he’s probably a great guy. That’s all great for south of the boarder, but why does Canada have such a huge obsession? I walk through the halls of our school and I see a kid wearing an Obama t-shirt. I have to ask myself “why?” Sure, maybe the kid is from the States originally, but the fact is he probably lives under the Canadian Government now. Shouldn’t we be more concerned about THAT? Why aren’t people walking around with Harper t-shirts? Our government might have ANOTHER election this summer. It’s insane, and we’re caring about some guy whose only effect on Canada is that he wont blow us up or shut down American companies in Canada.


Don’t say it’s just a few people who walk around with Obama t-shirts on. Remember when he came to Ottawa? There was a huge swarm of people who came just you support him. More then there’s ever been for any Prime Minister except maybe Trudeau. I experienced it first-hand. About a week after he visited, my family and I went to Ottawa to visit my brother. My mother is a prime example of an Obama-maniac. She dragged us to a market where they sold short bread cookies shaped like maple leaves that Obama bought while he was there. These cookies were dubbed “Obama cookies” and the bakery had shelves upon selves because people were buying that much. My mom bought a couple as well. Next we were dragged to a beaver tail shack. If you don’t know what a beaver tail is… I’m not too sure either. It’s basically deep fried dough covered in different toppings. While Obama was there, he asked for a special beaver tail. The people quickly threw together a beaver tail with maple syrup, chocolate sauce and whipped cream in an O shape. The “Obama tail” is now regularly sold and purchased often. Including by my mom. So why are we like this? Why do we care about this guy so much? Sure, he’s a big breath of fresh air from Bush, but we have our own politicians to worry about. We live in Canada, we’re not American!

No comments:

Post a Comment