Friday, June 12, 2009

Facebook or Faceplant?

First there were blogs here and there, just like this one. Then myspace came out, which was pretty huge. Then there was facebook. Practically everybody has facebook. It’s just as common as a phone number. When two people meet each other, you never hear “can I get your number?” first off anymore. Sometimes they ask for your e-mail. But mostly they ask if they can add you on facebook. Sure it has new features and such. It’s much safer then myspace, but it’s not completely safe. Anyone you add can see your personal information, and not all people are very safe with who they add.




Before you read on, I want everyone to know that NOTHING ENDED UP HAPPENING




To show as an example, one day I got a random text from some random person. It was probably just one of those people who put in a random number for fun. So some friends and me started texting back. We talked about grandparents and movies and different stuff. Then they asked for my name. Now, I’ve had the cops come in to talk about it. I know that whole confidentiality stuff. So we make up a name, and I call myself “Jacob Dalton”. This person, whose name I learned but not going to say just in case, asked for my facebook. Quickly we made a facebook page for Jacob Dalton. She says she would add “him” later on that night. Poor Jacob was never added, but the fact is that he could have been. Stuff like that happens all the time. We did that as a sort of experiment, but whoever texted me that day must have realized that adding some strange guy was not the smartest thing to do. It could have been different though. It could have been some 46-year-old pedophile pretending to be an 18-year-old football star. You have to be careful about whom you add, and make sure you always know who it is. Never go meet someone you don’t know who added you on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment