Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Low-han

This blog is particularly close to home. It’s about a role model I used to have when I was younger. I bet everyone had one at some point. Someone you could look up to and base your life off of. Mine was Lindsay Lohan. Not exactly what most people would call “role model material” these days. There was a time, however, where she was the model… well, role model. Something happened though, obviously. Was it her age? Are we all doomed to face an inevitable wild child future once we hit 18? Was it her career? Her personal life? Whatever it was, Lohan kept going lower.



Lindsay was acting at an early age, appearing in ford commercials at age 3. She was in other commercials for Wendy’s and Jell-O. She was not noticed by the public eye until she starred as twins in the remake of The Parent Trap. She also starred in a few made-for-TV movies, but I never saw her until Freaky Friday. I loved the movie, and liked her character, so I read up on her. I started regularly checking her website, LLrocks (which doesn’t exist anymore. Does she even have an official website?) and when I saw all the accomplishments she made and her good morals and values, I started looking up to her. Around the time when mean girls came out, which is still one of my favourite movies, things started to change. I first noticed when I watched her Rumours music video and saw her getting down and dirty with the elevator walls. I was with a friend at the time that said, “Oh well, she's 18 now. That’s normal.” I, personally, can’t wait for the day when I’m old enough to “ride” the elevator. Ahahahaha. Lame joking aside, the video also showed her in a party mood, something that apparently reflected her real life. Drinking became very prominent in her life despite being under age. She said she was going through troubles with her father, which cause her to just party it all out. This caused her to spiral into the world of alcoholism. Along the line, she was found in possession of cocaine and made several hit and runs. Of course, some of them were just hits, while she couldn’t run due to being passed out in her car.



She seemed to realize just how messed up she was after being quoted saying “It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs.” She has attended many rehab facilities in the past few years. Despite this, she still has a long way to go to rebuild up her career which has basically been destroyed. She has tried to rebuild herself by creating a spoof of her making a fake eharmony to laugh at herself. Apparently, she came up with the idea. Good for her.




Lindsay Lohan's eHarmony Profile


(If the video doesn't work, use the link above it.)


I felt almost betrayed by this transformation. Someone who used to say she would never get into drugs because it changed people. She also said she would never pose naked because its disrespectful and she never wanted to give that message to her fans. Wearing underwear is kind of included in that, Lindsay. Luckily, I was old enough to realize she was on a fast track to nowhere and she was quickly dead to me as a hero. However, what about others younger then myself? Those who idolized Lindsay from the beginning and still thought what ever she did was cool? I feel bad for them. It’s not only Lindsay, either. What about fans of Miley Cyrus? Or what about Vanessa Hudgens? Should we let children have role models at all with the danger that these so called “squeaky-clean” girls are going to grow up not being the best positive influence? Children do need heroes, but the ones shown in entertainment who are highly influential are dangerous to the younger generation’s future.

No comments:

Post a Comment